Only Child publishes a recipe, tailored for two or three. If you have suggestions or recipes, please feel free to send them. We feel that mealtime is one of the most important times of the day for the only child household. It should be a time to share the events of the day, and listen to one another’s experiences.
This recipe was sent to us by a single father raising a teenage son. It’s a favorite because there’s enough left over for lunch, or freezing and reheating for another quick dinner. He insists on a “team effort” in preparation and cleanup. Needless to say that builds character! The recipe is compliments of Contadina.
CINCINNATI CHILI PASTA
- Ingredients 3/4 lb ground turkey
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 2/3C (15-oz container) Contadina Refrigerated Light Garden Vegetable Sauce
- 1C water
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T cider vinegar 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 package (9 oz) Contadina Refrigerated Cholesterol Free Spaghetti Style Pasta, uncooked
- 1 2/3 C kidney beans, warmed
- 1/2 C (2 oz) reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 C green onions or onion, chopped
Cook turkey in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until no longer pink, stirring to crumble; drain and pat dry with paper towels. Wipe pan drippings from skillet; return turkey to skillet. Stir in sauce and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Divide pasta evenly onto individual plates. Top each serving equally with chili and kidney beans; sprinkle evenly with cheese and green onions. Yield: 6 servings (204 calories [ 21% from fat] per serving).
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 small cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon margarine fresh rosemary
- 3/4 cup white wine salt, pepper
Wash and thoroughly dry breasts. Pound the breasts until they are flat and almost even all the way around. Sauté garlic in margarine. Salt and pepper breasts; sprinkle with sprigs of rosemary. Brown breasts over medium heat, about one min. each side. Lower flame and cook for another four min. Remove breasts from pan. Add wine to the pan and simmer for one min., scraping sides of pan with spoon to deglaze. Put breasts back in pan and using a low flame, heat through for about one minute. Serve with rice or pasta.